PHILADELPHIA, PA, March 02, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/
-- TMJ is short for temporomandibular joint disorder
, the name given to any disorder that results in misalignment of the jaw. TMJ may be caused by trauma to the jaw, disc erosion due to certain types of arthritis, stress, tooth grinding, poor dental restorations, and malocclusion. However, the exact cause of TMJ is not always known.
Symptoms of TMJ
Symptoms of TMJ may include:
- Clicking or popping in the jaw
- Grinding noises when opening or shutting the mouth
- Pain and limited movement in the jaw
- Facial swelling
Other symptoms of TMJ may not seem to point to issues with the jaw. These include:
- Chronic headaches
- Neck, shoulder, and back aches
- Ear ringing or pain
- Pressure in the eyes and nasal cavity
- Numbness or tingling in the hands and fingers
Left untreated, TMJ may result in issues as diverse as postural changes, tooth loss, and digestive disorders.
Neuromuscular dentistry is the dental specialty devoted to detecting and treating TMJ. A neuromuscular dentist may use a combination of hands-on evaluations with comprehensive diagnostic tools such as a K7 Evaluation system to detect the presence of TMJ. When TMJ is detected, neuromuscular dentistry solutions will be customized to reduce discomfort and restore alignment to your jaw.
Neuromuscular dentistry treatments may include:
- Muscle relaxation with a TENS unit
- Oral splints or mouthguards to prohibit tooth grinding while retraining jaw muscles
- Dental restorations such as dental crowns
- Treatments for malocclusion such as Invisalign
- Jaw exercises and massage
The exact treatment or combination of treatments best for you should be determined by a neuromuscular dentist. Only a dentist with training in neuromuscular dentistry can treat this common disorder and ensure comfort well into the future.
To learn more about neuromuscular dentistry or TMJ in Philadelphia, Main Line, and Ardmore Pennsylvania, please visit the website of Lindsey Marshall, DMD
today at www.lindseymarshall.com
Press release service and press release distribution provided by http://www.24-7pressrelease.com
# # #Read more Press Releases from Sara Goldstein: