YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND, January 11, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/
-- Sheffield's Town Hall was built considerably later than those of the same period in other industrial centres of Northern England. This seems to have been because of more urgent priorities in the minds of the Sheffield Council at the time. The Council appeared to be more concerned with tackling the many social problems caused by the trebling of Sheffield's population between 1843 and 1893, before erecting a prestige monument to the municipality.
It was not until 1886 that the Council obtained the land on which the Town Hall now stands, and the Council launched a competition for architects to design a Town Hall for Sheffield.
Of the 178 designs submitted, that of a Mr. E. W. Mountford was judged to be the best. Mr. F. W. Pomeroy was chosen to carry out and supervise the carving.
The building was officially opened on 21st May, 1897 by Queen Victoria. Only four years later, the need for an extension was discussed and Mr. Mountford was instructed to prepare plans for it. Because of lack of sufficient finance and the outbreak of the Great War, it was not until 1923 that an extension materialised. This was to Mr. F. E. P. Edward's plan (the then City Architect). The cost was GBP115,600, and the extension was opened by The Prince of Wales on 29th May, 1923, twenty-six years after Queen Victoria had performed the original opening ceremony.
The Staff have reported getting creey feelings in certain parts of the building, an electrician who was asked to go check on the electrics had left very unnerved and vowed not to return. This building has never been investigated before so we are very excited to be allowed to host the first ever public event. Tickets have already flown out the door for this one so dont miss out on your chance to join us.
Simply Ghost Nights offers a unique event package, a ghost hunting event whether it's for a corporate function, or for individuals. Simply Ghost Nights is at the fore front of providing a wealth of experience and all the latest ghost hunting equipment for their ghost hunters to use.
Join us if you dare!---
Press release service and press release distribution provided by http://www.24-7pressrelease.com
# # #Read more Press Releases from Stuart Dawson:
- Ghost Hunting & Paranormal Ghost Hunts At Nottingham Galleries Of Justice, With Simply Ghost Nights, 7th June 2013
- Ghost Hunting & Ghost Hunts Event At The Niddry Street Vaults, Edinburgh With Simply Ghost Nights, 1st June 2013
- Ghost Hunting & Ghost Hunts at Smithills Hall, Bolton, Manchester, Lancashire, With Simply Ghost Nights, 4th May 2013
- Ghost Hunting At Woodchester Mansion, With Simply Ghost Nights, 27th April 2013
- Ghost Hunting At St Briavels Castle, Gloucestershire, With Simply Ghost Nights, 26th April 2013
- Ghost Hunting & Ghost Hunts At Jedburgh Castle Jail, Scotland, With Simply Ghost Nights, 6th April 2013
- Ghost Hunting & Ghost Hunts At Bolling Hall, Bradford, With Simply Ghost Nights, 2nd February 2013
- Ghost Hunt At Warmsworth Hall, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, With Simply Ghost Nights, 25th January 2013
- Ghost Hunting In Ripon At The Prison & Police Museum, North Yorkshire, With Simply Ghost Nights & Chris Conway, 24 November 2012
- Ghost Hunting At Leeds Old Dispensary, West Yorkshire With Simply Ghost Nights, 3rd November 2012