FORT MILL, SC, January 03, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/
-- Rooms filled with natural light and fresh air are more beautiful, spacious and uplifting to our spirits.
"With added natural light and ventilation from skylights, homeowners have attractive and effective tools to balance the light and improve ventilation in their homes," says Joe Patrick, who heads national product management for skylight manufacturer VELUX America.
Priscilla Ulmann, founder of the New York design firm, Scott-Ulmann, Inc., agrees. "I love the drama of skylights. There's nothing like walking into a room drenched in natural light with a view to the sky," she says.
Patrick says that modern skylights make one of the biggest concerns of homeowners - the fear of leaks - a thing of the past.
"Quality units offer matched, pre-engineered flashing kits for shingles, tile or metal roofing materials," he says. "They are designed and engineered to prevent leaks over the full life of a roof and, properly installed, simply don't leak." In fact, his company has introduced a new ENERGY STAR@ qualified product line, marketing it as the No Leak Skylight. "These units offer many new energy saving features plus three layers of water protection and are fully warranted," he says. "They also carry an industry-first ten-year installation warranty in addition to product coverage."
Patrick says that the growing availability of trained and certified skylight installation specialists also adds to the dependability of modern skylights.
And he points out that today's skylights contribute to energy efficiency with light and heat control as much as with ventilation by offering easily installed accessories to adjust and control light, as do vertical windows. "Venetian blinds are available to adjust light, as are roller blinds to diffuse light and blackout blinds to block light," he says," and the accessories, as well as the units themselves, can be operated by remote control." Solar blinds are also available that qualify for a 30 percent federal tax credit.
Patrick offers tips on the product categories available, how to choose the right product, installation information and tips on energy efficiency.
- Skylights are used for overhead, out-of-reach applications or with in-reach applications where egress is not required. Available models include electric or manual venting, fixed with or without ventilation flap, and fixed for replacing faded plastic bubbles with clear, energy-efficient glass. There are also models specially designed to meet code for safe use in hurricane-prone areas.
- Roof windows are for in-reach applications like bonus rooms and attics. They can open to 45 degrees, offering the added benefit of emergency egress.
- In areas where traditional skylights or roof windows might not be needed or won't fit, passive light (light without the heat emitted by electrical sources) is available through tubular skylights. VELUX SUN TUNNEL skylights, for example, are less expensive and easily installed, by a professional or by an experienced DIYer. Single tubular skylights are often used to bring natural light into smaller spaces including closets, windowless baths, laundry rooms and hallways, but they are increasingly used in more expansive spaces in the home with multiple tubes grouped to provide balanced lighting and reduce energy costs. Some "super efficient" models meet the federal government's energy efficiency criteria, qualifying them for federal tax credits of up to 30 percent of the purchase and installation cost.
How to Choose
- A complete selection of models, styles and sizes of the categories described are available. Just consider your ceiling style and roof pitch and whether your home is constructed with trusses or rafters. A selection tool is at veluxusa.com. Glazing - Energy-efficient tempered safety glass resists condensation, protects against fading and won't discolor, leak, or allow drafts. Installation
- Trained and certified local installation specialists may be located by contacting your local Home Builders Association, through the product manufacturer, or at veluxusa.com.
- Save money on utility bills by selecting quality products that are ENERGY STAR qualified and rated by the National Fenestration Rating Council.
For skylight selection or installation information visit www.veluxusa.com
. For government information on window and skylight energy efficiency visit energystar.gov, and for independent agency information visit nfrc.org or efficientwindows.org.
VELUX America Information Series No. 20/110/F - Skylights 101 - The Basics - Apx. 750 Words
Media contact: Keith Hobbs - Business Services Associates, Inc. - 9413 Greenfield Drive - Raleigh, NC 27615 - Phone - 919.844.0064 - E-mail - email@example.com
Media Information: For natural lighting/daylighting and solar water heating feature material, case histories and background information, news releases, press kits and images visit the press room/media area at veluxusa.com. Social media links for VELUX are facebook.com/veluxamerica and twitter.com/veluxamerica.---
Press release service and press release distribution provided by http://www.24-7pressrelease.com
# # #Read more Press Releases from Chan Hoyle: