Liberty Lake Vet, Legacy Animal Medical Center
LIBERTY LAKE, WA, February 05, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/
-- Liberty Lake Vet
, Legacy Animal Medical Center, is proclaiming February as Antifreeze Poisoning Awareness Month. Antifreeze poisoning in small animals is one of the most common forms of poisoning and many pets become ill and even die each year due to antifreeze poisoning.
Antifreeze exposure and poisoning is a year-round issue but is more profound in the cold winter months as homeowners 'winterize' their homes. Antifreeze is used to prevent water from freezing and is commonly used in automobiles and homes in the Northwest and throughout the country.
Pets typically come in contact with antifreeze that drips from a car's radiator, from antifreeze that has been added to a home's toilet bowl to winterize pipes, or an open bottle of antifreeze that the pet had access to. The lethal ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol and is also found in hydraulic brake fluid.
Dogs, cats and other smaller animals have the greatest risk of poisoning as they only need to ingest less than three ounces of antifreeze for it to be lethal. Pets can consume several times this quantity before they become uninterested in it. The minimum lethal dosage for cats is 1.5 teaspoons (7.5 ml) and approximately 2 to 3 ounces (60 to 90 ml) for a dog, depending on their weight.
Preventing antifreeze poisoning in your pet or putting other animals at risk is quite simple by following these simple precautions:
- Purchase antifreeze that uses propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol.
- Purchase antifreeze that has a bittering agent added to it to help deter the pet from wanting to drink it.
- Do not leave your pet unattended in garages, driveways, streets and other areas where antifreeze is commonly found.
- Check your automobile for any leaks and repair as quickly as possible.
- Keep antifreeze containers away from where pets could access them, keep lids tightly closed and properly dispose of used containers.
Call a Liberty Lake Vet
if you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze or is showing any of the following symptoms:
- Staggering, walking in an uncoordinated fashion (like they are drunk)
- Excessively or uncontrollably urinating
- Not urinating at all
- Increased heart rate
- Onset of seizures, convulsions or shaking
- Fainting or coma
Ingestion of antifreeze that goes untreated can quickly cause kidney failure and many animals perish within several days of ingestion.
For more information on Legacy Animal Medical Center's antifreeze poisoning treatment options or if you suspect your pet may have ingested any amount of antifreeze, call 509-926-8387 or visit www.legacyamc.com
today.About Legacy Animal Medical Center
Founded in 2001, Legacy Animal Medical Center is a family-owned and operated full-service animal medical, grooming and boarding center in Liberty Lake, Washington. Legacy Animal Medical Center specializes in wellness programs, medical and surgical services, holistic medicine and more. For more information, call 509-926-8387, or visit the company's web site at www.legacyamc.com
Press release service and press release distribution provided by http://www.24-7pressrelease.com
# # #Read more Press Releases from Dr. Mark Fosberg: