BALTIMORE, MD, September 30, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Merritt Properties is pleased to announced that its build-to-suit project for Centric Business Systems has received LEED Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).---
The 39,000-square-foot, single-story, flex building, which houses Centric's corporate headquarters, was completed in October 2011 on a 5.7 acre lot within Merritt's Owing Mills business park. The build-to-suit project included corporate offices, a product showroom and warehouse space. The lot is jointly owned by Merritt Properties and Centric's President, Rick Bastinelli.
To reach LEED Gold certification, Merritt incorporated the following green elements into the project:
• 83% of all construction waste materials recycled or diverted from landfills.
• 51% of all building materials manufactured and extracted within 500 miles of the site.
• Stringent indoor air-quality management program implemented throughout the construction process
• Enhanced building envelope through the use of improved roof and wall sections and high-performance glass.
• 100% of all roofing materials meet SRI requirements to reduce heat island effect.
• Water-efficient restroom fixtures and self-metering faucets reduce water demand by approximately 36%.
• Highly efficient VRF (variable refrigerant flow) heating and cooling system.
• Solar power via a 24kW photovoltaic array located on roof.
• Carbon dioxide monitoring system to enhance indoor air quality.
• Low- to no-VOC materials to reduce the possibility of indoor air pollutants.
• T5 lighting with occupant sensors.
• Preferred parking for hybrid and carpool vehicles.
• Stormwater management plan implemented to reduce impervious cover, promote infiltration, and capture and treat the stormwater runoff from 90% of the average rainfall.
• Landscaping with reduced turf areas and drought-tolerant plants to reduce irrigation needs.
• Green power purchase.
Merritt Construction Services, a division of Merritt Properties, completed the shell construction and interior build-out in just five months. This is Merritt's first single-story flex building to achieve LEED certification.
Merritt's portfolio also includes three LEED Platinum buildings, three LEED Gold buildings and two LEED-EB O&M Silver buildings.
About Merritt Properties
As an established market leader with more than 40 years of experience and success, Merritt Properties has an unmatched reputation for our commitment to our customers and the communities we serve. With 16 million square feet in more than 70 locations, Merritt owns and manages the largest privately held commercial real estate portfolio in the Baltimore/Washington region. For more information about Merritt Properties: merrittproperties.com, twitter.com/merrittprop, facebook.com/MerrittProperties.
About Centric Business Systems
Centric Business Systems is an office technology leader serving the Mid-Atlantic Region, with offices in Owings Mills, Rockville, Hagerstown & Salisbury, MD. For over 40 years Centric has earned an award winning reputation for providing the most innovative office technology from the world's leading manufacturers with integrity, outstanding service, excellent value and an unwavering commitment to total customer satisfaction. Our focus is to integrate our reliable output devices with software solutions that help businesses manage document workflow and increase productivity.
LEED is the foremost program for the design, construction, maintenance and operations of green buildings. Nearly 50,000 projects are currently participating in the commercial and institutional LEED rating systems, comprising 9.3 billion square feet of construction space in all 50 states and 135 countries. In addition, more than 26,000 residential units have been certified under the LEED for Homes rating system, with nearly 91,000 more homes registered.
By using less energy, LEED-certified spaces save money for families, businesses and taxpayers; reduce carbon emissions; and contribute to a healthier environment for residents, workers and the larger community. Learn more at http://www.usgbc.org.
Press release service and press release distribution provided by http://www.24-7pressrelease.com
# # #