FARMINGTON HILLS, MI, December 01, 2012 /24-7PressRelease/ -- MGM Grand Detroit's "Touching Communities, Touching Lives " initiative has announced the winners of its second annual online charitable event, "Merry Merry Monday," which took place on Cyber Monday, November 26. The contest dispersed $10,000 amongst the top three of the five eligible non-profit organizations.---
From midnight to 11:59 p.m. on Monday, voters logged onto the contest tab on "Touching Communities, Touching Lives" Facebook page (www.facebook.com/MGMGrandDetroitTCTL) to support their favorite of the five non-profit organizations, each of whom represented one of MGM Grand Detroit's key community investment areas: education, youth, arts, diversity and community development.
The following organizations placed first through third:
• First Place ($7,000): Matrix Theatre Company (Arts) uses theatre to change lives, build community, and foster social justice by creating opportunities for children, youth, adults and elders, especially those in isolated or challenged communities, to become creators, producers, and audiences of original and heritage theatre.
• Second Place ($2,000): Winning Futures (Education) inspires and prepares young people to succeed through life skills programs and mentoring relationships.
• Third Place ($1,000): Money Matters For Youth (Youth Development) is a financial literacy boot camp that shapes youth for the future with knowledge of money and new ways of thinking.
"MGM Grand Detroit, through its 'Touching Communities, Touching Lives' initiative is strongly committed to ensuring the continuing success of community organizations throughout metropolitan Detroit," said Dee Dee McKinney Odom, director of public affairs for MGM Grand Detroit. "As we enter a season of giving, our team wanted to make sure that nonprofits in our region received some holiday cheer as well."
The other two organizations eligible for votes were Cass Community Social Services, in the Community Development category, and the Arab American & Chaldean Council, in the Diversity category. Cass Community Social Services is dedicated to making a different in the populations it serves by providing for basic needs, including affordable housing, promoting self reliance and encouraging community inclusion and improvement. The Arab American & Chaldean Council provides service to the Middle Eastern and mainstream communities in Southeast Michigan.
MGM Grand Detroit is dedicated to strengthening the communities in which it operates and team members live. Through its "Touching Communities, Touching Lives " initiatives, MGM Grand Detroit supports the five community investment areas and more than 400 charitable events throughout the year.
About MGM Grand Detroit
The only Forbes Four Star hotel and spa in Southeast Michigan and AAA Four Diamond Award-winning hotel, MGM Grand Detroit is the city's first and only downtown hotel, gaming and entertainment destination built from the ground up. The hotel features 400 chic and stylish guest rooms, including nine rooftop VIP suites and 56 opulent corner suites. Guests enjoy signature and casual restaurants, lounges such as a relaxed piano-style bar, high-energy nightlife, and the only resort-style spa in Southeast Michigan. More than 30,000 square feet of meeting space hosts everything from large corporate events to intimate black-tie affairs. MGM Grand Detroit is a wholly owned subsidiary of MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM). For more information, visit http://www.mgmgranddetroit.com or call toll free at (888) 646-3387.
Press release service and press release distribution provided by http://www.24-7pressrelease.com
# # #Read more Press Releases from Lauren Herrin:
- Arab American and Chaldean Council Distributes 180 Turkeys to Region's Most Needy
- Maddin, Hauser, Wartell, Roth & Heller, PC Receives Three Tier 1 Rankings in 2014 Edition of U.S. News-Best Lawyers Best Law Firms
- Bagger Dave's Brings Freshly-Crafted Burger Joy to Detroiters-Downtown Detroit Location Opens Nov.10
- National and State Experts to Address Corporate Officer Liability, Emergency Management and Property Taxes at Michigan Tax Conference
- Bagger Dave's To Host Inaugural Grand Rapids Bru Fest
- Gorman's Design Furniture Outlet Hosts "Ask a Designer" Weekend in Grand Rapids, November 2-3
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants Elects New Board for 2013-2014
- U.S. News & World Report Ranks Spring Arbor University Top Tier in 2014
- Bagger Dave's Legendary Burgers Debut in Traverse City, Sept. 22
- Fourteen Maddin, Hauser, Wartell, Roth & Heller Attorneys Named Among The Best Lawyers in America