MONROVIA, CA, December 08, 2012 /24-7PressRelease/
-- Nicholas Dracopoli, Vice President and Head of Oncology Biomarkers at Janssen R&D will give a plenary keynote presentation entitled "Why So Few Companion Diagnostics? The Difficulty of Translating Biological Data into Predictive Biomarkers" at GTC's Biomarker Summit 2013, taking place in San Francisco, CA on March 20-22, 2013.
Translating complex genomic data into widely used clinical tests has been much slower than anticipated. FDA-approved diagnostic tests have only been approved to predict response to therapy for nine oncology drugs a decade after the completion of the human genome sequence. All of these are simple tests that measure the status (mutation, translocation, over expression etc.) of the drug target or pathway.
Benefits of Dr. Dracopli's talk include:
• Overview of FDA approved companion diagnostics for oncology
• Application of biomarkers in drug development
• Translating complex genomic data into informative clinical tests
• Role of companion diagnostics in development of new drugs in oncology
• Novel strategies for the co-development of drugs and diagnostics
Dr. Nicholas Dracopoli is Vice President/Head of Oncology Biomarkers at Janssen R&D, LLC of Johnson & Johnson. In this role he is responsible for biomarker discovery, development and application for oncology products. Previously, he was Vice President of Clinical Discovery Technologies at Bristol-Myers Squibb, and prior to that spent five years in the biotechnology industry at Sequana Therapeutics. Dr Dracopoli obtained his B.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of London, and completed post-doctoral fellowships at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Subsequently, he served as an Assistant Director at the Whitehead/MIT Genome Center and as a Section Chief at the National Center for Human Genome Research at the NIH before moving to the biotechnology industry. Dr Dracopoli has authored more than 70 scientific publications, and has extensive experience in the fields of genomics, molecular biology and cancer research.
The Biomarker Summit 2013 provides a unique opportunity to gain the latest biomarker developments in three major therapeutic areas, formally organized in the following tracks:
6th Oncology Biomarkers
2nd Neurological Biomarkers
2nd Inflammatory & Immunological Biomarkers
The summit will discuss a wide range of issues such as biomarker identification and validation strategies, patient stratification, enabling omics technologies, bioinformatics and systems biology techniques, regulatory and reimbursement trends and the development of companion diagnostics. These areas will be addressed in an intimate and highly interactive environment with perspectives from industry, academia and the public sector.
For more information, please visit http://www.gtcbio.com/biomarkersummit
GTCbio organizes conferences specifically for the biomedical and biopharmaceutical industries. Our goal is to facilitate the exchange of biopharmaceutical and biomedical intelligence between industry leaders, academic and government organizations, and the financial community.
GTCbio is a subsidiary of Global Technology Community, LLC, a privately held company founded in 2002.
Contact: GTCBIO (626) 256-6405, (626) 256-6460 fax, email@example.com---
Press release service and press release distribution provided by http://www.24-7pressrelease.com
# # #Read more Press Releases from Rania Hafez:
- Gregory Bonfiglio, Proteus Ventures to Speak at Stem Cell Summit 2013 - Apr 29-30, Boston
- Klaus Stohr, VP at Novartis, to Give a Keynote Speech at GTC's Influenza Meeting, July 8-10, Boston
- Kathrin Jansen SVP at Pfizer to Give a Keynote Speech at GTC's Vaccines Meeting, July 8-10, Boston
- Tiina Palomaki of EMA to Present at Stem Cell Summit 2013 (April 29-30, 2013 in Boston)
- Riccardo Perfetti to Give A Keynote Presentation at Diabetes Summit 2013 organized by GTC company (April 29-30 in Boston, MA)
- Prof. Ian Phillips to Speak at Orphan Drugs Research & Commercialization Conference May 8-10, Boston
- Michael Scott to Speak at GTC's Orphan Drugs Research & Commercialization Conference May 8-10, 2013
- Mike Pellini of Foundation Medicine to Present at 6th Oncology Biomarkers, Mar. 20-22, San Francisco
- Dr. Aaron Ciechanover to Speak at Ubiquitin Research Conference Feb 25-26, 2013 in Las Vegas, NV
- Dr. R.Deshaies Cal Tech, to Speak at Ubiquitin Research Conference Feb 25-26, 2013 in Las Vegas, NV