WILMINGTON, NC, January 15, 2014 /24-7PressRelease/ -- A recent article on the Time Magazine website entertainment section presented a list of movies that could help overcome the Holiday blues. The list included such notable movies as 'Eyes Wide Shut', 'Scent of a Woman' and 'Edward Scissorhands'. Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein, Positive Psychologist and developer of the Enchanted Self, believes the list could be improved and that there is much more that can be done to not only overcome the Holiday blues, but to also make 2014 the best year ever.
"Interesting list of movies," Holstein stated, "but as a positive psychologist and an expert in helping girls tweens, teens and women develop into their gutsy potential, I would suggest that we consider the healthy nostalgia that comes from connecting with some of the best winter movies ever. A few tears shed as we come home to 'A Miracle on 34th Street', 'A Christmas Story' or 'It's a Wonderful Life', are well shed."
"These are the movies that remind us that miracles can happen, the good guy can win, little kids can have their wishes fulfilled and life is worth living. Aren't these messages what the Holidays are all about? They help us come home to the best of ourselves and there is no better recipe for offsetting the Holiday Blues than being the best you can be."
Dr Holstein offers the following tips to improving one's attitude in the coming year:
1. Send a late present to someone you didn't include on your list or give to a charity you pushed aside.
2. Make three New Year's resolutions for yourself. Make one easy, one a little harder and one a stretch. Fold the paper and keep it in your wallet or pocketbook. Review once a month, modify if necessary.
3. Make sure you smile every day at a least one person.
4. Compliment at least one person a day and make it real. For example, you may not want to wear that purple scarf on Jane, but you can honestly say it looks good on her.
5. Play a good deed forward at least once a month, such as paying ahead in line for the person's cup of coffee that is behind you in line.
6. Remember yourself with small treats and time to replenish. You and the world will benefit from you taking care of yourself.
7. Talk to the people in your life, including your kids, without your cell phone in hand.
8. Don't drive and text. Staying alive is essential for all of the above.
Dr. Holstein is a prolific writer who crosses genres with ease. Dr. Holstein's book for teens and tweens, 'The Truth, (I'm a girl, I'm Smart and I Know Everything)' is a first in positive psychology. It is a fiction book for girls, tweens and teens. Written by an 11 year old girl as a diary, Dr. Barbara has embedded within the story positive truths and concepts geared to help girls develop self-esteem and resiliency. Sky Pony Press will be publishing The Truth in the summer of 2014.
Her second book in The Truth Series is 'Secrets: You Tell Me Yours and I'll Tell You Mine...Maybe!' Now the girl is 13. She handles many adolescent issues, including a crush, moving, a death in the family, feeling fat and problems with girlfriends. 'Secrets' provides a book kids and parents and grandparents can share and use as a sounding board for needed communication between the generations.
Both 'The Truth' and 'Secrets' are great for grandparents, older siblings and teachers to establish lines of communication with the tweens in their lives. Both books will be re-released by Sky Pony Press.
Dr. Holstein believes that getting in touch with your strengths, talents and potential at every age, as well as learning how to hold on to the wise, playful, happy, gutsy and energetic girl that still resides within each woman is essential for mental health.
To assist this process she has written many books, including: case study material as presented in The Enchanted Self, A Positive Therapy; inspirational stories as presented in Recipes for Enchantment, The Secret Ingredient is YOU! and romance, mystery books designed to bring fun and learning into women's lives. Latest books are: Parts 1 and 2 of Next Year in Jerusalem! available in paper and as e-books; Parts 1,2 and 3 of Next Year in Jerusalem! incorporated into Around Every Corner on Kindle.
In addition to running a thriving practice, Dr. Holstein is a very successful author. She is available for media interview and can be reached using the information below or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. All of her works are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and all other online retailers. More information is available at her website.
Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein, internationally known Positive Psychologist is the creator of The Enchanted Self , a positive psychology method for increasing happiness. Dr. Holstein has been a school psychologist for over 25 years. She is in private practice in Long Branch, New Jersey with her husband, Dr. Russell M. Holstein.
Dr. Barbara speaks regularly on radio programs around the country, and appears on television in New York and New Jersey. Her inspiring audio shows and podcasts can be found on the web, along with hundreds of her articles and stories. She has been a contributor to Heart and Soul, Cosmopolitan Magazine, Redbook, Real Simple, The Wall Street Journal, Time on line, and Family Circle Magazine.
Her pathfinder book 'The Enchanted Self, A Positive Therapy' was published in 1997 by Harwood Academic Publishers and is now in its second printing through Brunner-Routledge. Her second book 'Recipes for Enchantment, The Secret Ingredient is YOU!' has received rave reviews as a wonderful inspirational story book. 'DELIGHT', Dr. Holstein's third book is available in two versions, paperback and a CD-rom that includes music, art, and Dr. Holstein's voice.
Other works include 'The Truth, (I'm a girl, I'm Smart and I Know Everything)', 'Secrets: You Tell Me Yours and I'll Tell You Mine...Maybe!', and 'Around Every Corner: Romance And Mystery . . . '
# # #Read more Press Releases from Barbara Becker Holstein:
- Epic Selfie Spree: Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein, Author Of 'The Truth', Offers Advice To Parents
- Release of 'The Truth, Diary of a Gutsy Tween', by Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein, Scheduled For July 1, 2014
- Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein To Release "The Truth, Diary Of A Gutsy Tween"
- Page To Stage Play, "The Locket", Gets Rave Reviews In Asbury Park, NJ On May 5, 2014
- Page To Stage Play, "The Locket", To Be Performed In Asbury Park, NJ On May 5, 2014
- Selfies - The Good, The Bad And The Dangerous - Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein Urges Caution
- Ellen DeGeneres, Selfies And Narcissism - Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein Makes The Case For The Selfie
- Valentine's Day For Divorced Women - Positive Psychologist Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein Offers Tips
- Author And Positive Psychologist Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein Announces Book Publication, Issues Statement On Raising Self Esteem For Girls
- Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein on Today.com - Americans Pick 50 as the Perfect Age