February 06, 2014 /24-7PressRelease/
-- New York has a lot to offer. Theater, restaurants, art exhibits and some of the worst driving conditions in the nation. The congestion alone can make navigating the streets of New York seem impossible. Add in snow, ice and potholes and a driver is in serious risk of involvement in a car accident
Tips to safely navigating New York roadways in the winter
Meteorologists and other weather professionals note that the safest way to drive in bad weather conditions is not to drive at all. Unfortunately, due to work or other obligations, this choice is often not an option. In these instances, professionals with Weather.com recommend the following:
- Leave extra room and go slow.
- If possible, operate the vehicle in low gears to increase traction.
- Avoid using cruise control.
- Increase visibility by turning on headlights.
Unfortunately, even when every precaution is taken, accidents can happen. If you are injured in an accident that was the fault of another, compensation may be available. These funds could help cover the cost of treatment, rehabilitation and even lost wages.
What to do if injured in an accident
In order to qualify for compensation, a victim must prove that the driver who was responsible for the accident was either reckless or negligent. In most cases, victims pursue a negligence claim. Negligence is a legal term used to describe the following scenario:
- A person owed a duty to another. Whenever a driver gets behind the wheel of a vehicle that driver owes a duty to passengers, other drivers and anyone else around them to operate the vehicle in a safe manner.
- The person failed to meet that duty. This can be established in a variety of ways. Some examples include operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, texting while driving or speeding.
- Another person was injured. This can be proven with medical records.
- The injury was a result of the driver's failure to meet his or her duty.
Putting together a case to prove negligence can be difficult. It is also important to keep in mind that negligence is just one legal method available to hold those responsible for an accident accountable for their actions. As a result, those injured in an accident should contact an experienced New York auto accident attorney to discuss their options and help better ensure their legal rights and any potential remedies are protected.
Article provided by Morgan Levine, P.C.
Visit us at www.morganlevinelaw.com