RICHMOND, CA, August 22, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/
-- Back-to-school guides often feature furniture, yet most dorm rooms come furnished already, leaving the freshman crowd out of the practical information loop. Here are some tips with first year college students in mind. Specifically, for those leaving home for the first time. How do we define "essential dorm gear"? Stacks and Stacks Homewares brings 28 years of http://www.stacksandstacks.com/landing-pages/p-106/
organizing experience into the equation, with tips on what to buy and what to skip.
Ten Things to Bring to the Dorms with You this Fall:
- When it comes to savvy storage, the space under the bed still takes the top spot. This is a great place to keep shoes, accessories, extra office supplies and linens stowed away out of sight.
2. Lap Desk - Whether moms and dads like it or not, a favorite study spot for students is in bed or on the sofa. Protect their legs and their computer with a http://www.stacksandstacks.com/laptop-station-with-built-in-cooling-fan#.UgkZCqyYcQQ
. Elevating the laptop computer away from the legs allows for airflow underneath, reducing heat buildup inside the computer and thus increasing its lifespan. Many lap desks now come with motorized coolers built in to enhance that cooling action.
3. Laundry Bag - Doing laundry is a drag when you are a young student. Make it easier on your child by ensuring easy transport to and from the common laundry area with a laundry bag that can be slung over the shoulder. Skip the stationary hamper, it is simply not necessary and there is little room for it in a cramped dorm room anyway. Hang the laundry bag over a hanger, wall hook or on the back of the door.
4. Hanging Shelves for the Closet - To keep clothes organized, make the best use of closet space with a hanging shelf system. These fasten over the existing closet rod and provide space-efficient storage and easy access to stacks of t-shirts, jeans, or shoes.
5. Over the Door Hooks - Another space-friendly and dorm-approved storage solution, over-the-door hooks can hold wet towels, coats, umbrellas and hats. Even better, an over-the-door rack with pockets, traditionally designed for shoe storage, can hold scarves, accessories, school supplies and more. Using the entire length of the door for storage is the best way to maximize storage and organization in the dorm.
6. File Box - Even in the age of electronics, your student will still encounter paperwork from time to time. Teach good organizational skills from the get-go with a simple plastic file box that can be moved from dorm to apartment, and so on.
7. Extra Sheets and Towels - To encourage good hygiene (and discourage bed bugs), an extra set of sheets goes a long way toward getting your student to actually wash linens on a regular basis. The same goes for towels.
8. Bathroom Caddy - Keep your student's toiletries separate and easy to find with a simple handled wire basket or mesh fabric bag. To keep mildew at bay, ensure that the carrier is either machine washable or encourage frequent rinsing and drying near a window.
9. Folding Storage - A basket or bin, made of either fabric or plastic, is a long-lasting storage choice for the college student, and a folding design allows them to move it from dwelling to dwelling over the years with ease.
10. Lamp - Even if the dorm comes equipped with overhead lighting, a personal lamp is a must when going off to college for those late night study sessions while roommates are asleep. Clip-on lamps are still a great choice and can be mounted to the bed or desk, and easily moved throughout the years. Look for energy efficient LED lights to maximize use.
For more free expert organizing tips, Ask Our Organizer, Harriet Schechter, author of Let Go of Clutter (McGraw-Hill), and you'll receive her response within 24 hours.
Stacks and Stacks has been a leader and pioneer in offering products to organize and furnish homes, offices, and gardens since 1984. For over 28 years we have searched for, and then tested products to find the best quality at the best prices.
Stacks and Stacks is an e-commerce company selling thousands of products for the home, garden and office please contact us at 510-214-4011
5102144013Email Us Here