- Products & Services
- Knowledge Base
Education is key, not just for parents and kids, but for professionals and educators who must all work together to spread awareness and encourage responsible pet guardianship. - Victoria Stilwell
SUFFERN, NY, June 09, 2015 /24-7PressRelease/ -- In response to the reports of dog bites which continue to drive news cycles in cities across the country, renowned dog trainer and behaviour expert, Victoria Stilwell from Channel 4's It's Me or the Dog introduces the UK's first National Dog Bite Prevention Week, June 7th-14th.
Dog Bite Prevention Week highlights the need for education and awareness to prevent these largely avoidable incidents from occurring and finds practical and workable solutions to this universal problem through education and heightened awareness for those most at risk.
"I am devastated each time I hear about someone being bitten, mauled or killed, especially when most of these incidences could have been prevented," Stilwell states. "Education is key, not just for parents and kids, but for professionals and educators who must all work together to spread awareness and encourage responsible pet guardianship."
Victoria's training organization Positively, along with her team of Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Trainers (VSPDT) is partnering with Wood Green Animal Shelter, Dogs Helping Kids, the University of Lincoln, Doggone Safe, The Kennel Club's Safe and Sound Scheme and Blue Dog for the UK's first National Dog Bite Prevention Week, June 7th-14th. This is a week-long media event which aims to use media and social media to spread the word about responsible and safe pet guardianship as well as promoting a better understanding of all dogs.
Dog Bite Statistics as of March 21st 2014 from the Health and Social Care Information Centre:
- There are approximately 8.5 million dogs in the UK
- 25% of families in the UK have a dog
- Since 1998 the number of people hospitalized from dogs bites and other dog-related incidents has risen 51.17% with an overall rise of 150% in Scotland
- 6,447 people were admitted to hospital for dog bites and other dog-related incidents in 2011-12, a 5.2% rise on the previous 12 months
- Between 2012 and 2013, 6,302 people were hospitalized from dog bites and other dog related incidents
- Of those, under-10s accounted for the highest rate of admissions by 10 year age group
- Children are more likely to be bitten on the face requiring plastic surgery
- Boys are twice as likely to be bitten as girls
- It is estimated that around half of all children will be bitten by a dog at some point during their life, usually by either a family dog or a dog that belongs to a friend or neighbour.
- Adults are more likely to be bitten on the hands or lower body
- Bites in the northeast of England are over twice as frequent as those in London and the South East.
- There have been 27 deaths since 2006 - between 2 and 6 deaths annually.
About Victoria Stilwell: Victoria Stilwell is a world-renowned dog trainer, TV personality, author and public speaker best known as the star of the international hit TV series Greatest American Dog and It's Me or the Dog, through which she reaches audiences in over 100 countries. The torchbearer in the movement towards force-free positive dog training methods, Stilwell is the Editor-in-Chief of Positively.com and is the CEO of both Victoria Stilwell, Inc. and Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Training (VSPDT): the world's premier global network of positive dog trainers. Stilwell is also committed to helping the cause of animal rescue and rehabilitation, working closely with organizations around the world to increase awareness about puppy mills, dogfighting, animal abuse, pet overpopulation, dog bite prevention, breed-specific legislation and other animal-related issues. Appearing frequently in the global media, Stilwell is widely recognized as a leader in the field of animal behavior and serves as a National Ambassador for the American Humane Association and is on the Advisory Boards of both RedRover and DogTV. She is also the CEO of the Victoria Stilwell Foundation, providing animal behavior expertise and funding to smaller rescue shelters and positive training-based canine assistance organizations. More info: www.positively.com.
Download the UK Dog Bite Prevention Week poster here.
Doggone Safe is a US-based charity with members and presenters in more than 30 countries, dedicated to dog bite prevention and dog bite victim support.
# # #