MONROVIA, CA, December 07, 2012 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Daniel Chan, Professor and Director of Clinical Chemistry Division at John Hopkins University Will Give a Plenary Keynote Presentation Entitled "Translation of Biomarkers into Clinical Practice: the Future is Now" at GTC's Biomarker Summit 2013 Taking Place in San Francisco, CA on March 20-22, 2013.
In Dr. Chan's presentation, he will discuss the 4Bs (bridge) and the 4Gs (gate) for biomarker translation. (1) To define clearly a specific "intended use" for unmet clinical needs, (2) to generate sufficient evidence in preliminary studies to support the investment for a large-scale validation study, (3) to select and develop assays with analytical performance suitable for clinical laboratory and (4) to conduct clinical trial to demonstrate clinical utilities in order to obtain regulatory approval and gain acceptance by the clinical community. The successful translation of biomarkers into clinical practice will require 4Ps (partnership) with close collaboration between researcher, industry, regulator and clinician/clinical laboratory.
Daniel Chan is the Professor of Pathology, Oncology, Radiology and Urology, and the Director of Center for Biomarker Discovery and Translation at Johns Hopkins University. He is the Director of Clinical Chemistry Division and the Co-Director of Pathology Core Laboratory at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
Dr. Chan is a diplomat of the American Board of Clinical Chemistry (ABCC) and a fellow of the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry (NACB). He is an internationally recognized expert in clinical biomarkers, proteomics and molecular diagnostics. He has written 5 books, 40 book chapters and over 250 scientific articles. He is the Principal investigator of several research grants funded by the NIH including the CPTAC (Cancer Proteomic Tumor Analysis Consortium) and the Biomarker Reference Lab for the EDRN (Early Detection Research Network).
Currently, he is the President of the International Society of Enzymology (ISE) and on the Board of Directors (a founder) of the US Human Proteome Organization (HUPO). He is a Senior Editor of Cancer Screening and Detection of the journal Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention and the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Clinical Proteomics.
The Biomarker Summit 2013 provides a unique opportunity to gain the latest biomarker developments in three major therapeutic areas, formally organized in the following tracks:
6th Oncology Biomarkers
2nd Neurological Biomarkers
2nd Inflammatory & Immunological Biomarkers
The summit will discuss a wide range of issues such as biomarker identification and validation strategies, patient stratification, enabling omics technologies, bioinformatics and systems biology techniques, regulatory and reimbursement trends and the development of companion diagnostics. These areas will be addressed in an intimate and highly interactive environment with perspectives from industry, academia and the public sector.
For more information, please visit http://www.gtcbio.com/biomarkersummit
GTCbio organizes conferences specifically for the biomedical and biopharmaceutical industries. Our goal is to facilitate the exchange of biopharmaceutical and biomedical intelligence between industry leaders, academic and government organizations, and the financial community.
GTCbio is a subsidiary of Global Technology Community, LLC, a privately held company founded in 2002.
Contact: GTCBIO (626) 256-6405, (626) 256-6460 fax, email@example.com
# # #Read more Press Releases from Rania Hafez:
- Geoffrey Bartholomeusz to Speak at Cell Based Assay Conference, Nov. 6-8, 2013 in SF, CA
- Heiko Niessen, Boehringer-Ingelheim, to Present at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- Margaret Karow, Amgen, to Present at Antibody & Protein Therapeutics Mtg., Oct. 24-25, San Diego
- Birgitte Sogaard, Lundbeck, to Present at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- Hans Lehrach To Present on Big Data Medicine at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- Li-Huei Tsai, MIT, to Speak at Neurodegenerative Conditions Conference, Sept. 9-10, 2013, Boston
- Richard Buller, VP of Pfizer, To Present at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- William Florence, DTRA, To Present on Biodefense Vaccines at GTC's Vaccines Conf., July 8-10, Boston
- Rick King, VP at IAVI, To Present on HIV Vaccine Design at GTC's Vaccines Conf., July 8-10, Boston
- Gregory Bonfiglio, Proteus Ventures to Speak at Stem Cell Summit 2013 - Apr 29-30, Boston