CAMBRIDGE, MA, July 30, 2014 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Resonance Records will present singer Polly Gibbons in a special Boston area appearance, "Introducing Polly Gibbons: A Magical Evening at Ryles Jazz Club," (212 Hampshire Street, Cambridge, MA 02139), on Tuesday, September 16 at 8 PM. The showcase coincides with the release of her new CD and video disc on the Resonance Records Label: Many Faces of Love. Resonance Records is a relatively new NON-PROFIT jazz label with a mission! The CD will be available at the September 16 show and also for pre-order at: http://www.resonancerecords.org.
Appearing with Gibbons at Ryles will be New York-based pianist John di Martino who, according to jazz critic Will Friedwald, "is fast emerging as one of the major pianist-musical directors around town," New York-based, Italian bassist Marco Panascia (who works frequently with Eldar Djangirov) and Boston's own powerhouse drummer, Bob Gullotti.
General admission seating tickets are on sale now at http://www.rylesjazz.com for $10.00. For more information and to purchase by phone, call 617-876-9330.
Polly Gibbons descends from a grand tradition of jazz and blues women whose singing exudes strength, defiance, and sassy wit. There are many pretenders to that throne, but Polly's artistry demands attention. British-born and just thirty when she made this album, Polly has a raspy, lived-in tone, a walloping sense of swing, and a dramatic flair that grabs the heart. Emotionally, her singing ranges from a slow burn to a bonfire; interpretively, she always rings true.
In London jazz circles, Polly is acquiring a growing chorus of champions. Peter Quinn of the monthly magazine Jazzwise pronounced her "a truly exceptional, once-in-a-generation talent, possessing a voice of such sizzling intensity and raw emotion you could fry an egg on it." After hearing her at Ronnie Scott's in London, Van Morrison acknowledged her "great voice." Johnny Mandel attended her American debut show in February 2014. The venerated arranger and composer--who has written for Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, and Shirley Horn--said afterward: "They don't come along very often, but this one's a star."
# # #Read more Press Releases from Sue Auclair:
- Great Northeast Productions, Inc. Presents: An Evening With Bruce Cockburn
- Regattabar Presents An Evening With a Superband: Mike Pope & the House of Cardinals featuring Mike Pope, Eldar Djangirov, Joe Locke, Bob Franceschini & Mauricio Zottarelli
- Massasoit Radio Classics Live Celebrates 20th Anniversary with Two-Days of Hilarious Performances and a Star-Studded Cast
- Jazz Composer, Arranger and Woodwind Instrumentalist Art Felluca Release New CD: Inward
- Massasoit Radio Players Present: Music and Comedy Dinner Theatre Featuring WBZ AM 1030 Radio Personality Jordan Rich
- Absolutely Live Entertainment Presents Wayne Shorter Quartet in Concert Featuring Danilo Perez, John Patitucci and Brian Blade on Tuesday, February 8, 2011, 8:00 PM at Berklee Performance Center
- Benjamin Zander and the Boston Philharmonic to Present Bruckner Symphony No. 8 In C Minor
- Ron Della Chiesa Hosts Barry Price Center 20th Annual Gala Starring Bobby Rydell, Friday, November 5
- Chorus pro Musica's 62nd Season includes Dvorák, Janacek, Rossini, and Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms