CAMBRIDGE, MA, July 30, 2014 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Resonance Records will present singer Polly Gibbons in a special Boston area appearance, "Introducing Polly Gibbons: A Magical Evening at Ryles Jazz Club," (212 Hampshire Street, Cambridge, MA 02139), on Tuesday, September 16 at 8 PM. The showcase coincides with the release of her new CD and video disc on the Resonance Records Label: Many Faces of Love. Resonance Records is a relatively new NON-PROFIT jazz label with a mission! The CD will be available at the September 16 show and also for pre-order at: http://www.resonancerecords.org.
Appearing with Gibbons at Ryles will be New York-based pianist John di Martino who, according to jazz critic Will Friedwald, "is fast emerging as one of the major pianist-musical directors around town," New York-based, Italian bassist Marco Panascia (who works frequently with Eldar Djangirov) and Boston's own powerhouse drummer, Bob Gullotti.
General admission seating tickets are on sale now at http://www.rylesjazz.com for $10.00. For more information and to purchase by phone, call 617-876-9330.
Polly Gibbons descends from a grand tradition of jazz and blues women whose singing exudes strength, defiance, and sassy wit. There are many pretenders to that throne, but Polly's artistry demands attention. British-born and just thirty when she made this album, Polly has a raspy, lived-in tone, a walloping sense of swing, and a dramatic flair that grabs the heart. Emotionally, her singing ranges from a slow burn to a bonfire; interpretively, she always rings true.
In London jazz circles, Polly is acquiring a growing chorus of champions. Peter Quinn of the monthly magazine Jazzwise pronounced her "a truly exceptional, once-in-a-generation talent, possessing a voice of such sizzling intensity and raw emotion you could fry an egg on it." After hearing her at Ronnie Scott's in London, Van Morrison acknowledged her "great voice." Johnny Mandel attended her American debut show in February 2014. The venerated arranger and composer--who has written for Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, and Shirley Horn--said afterward: "They don't come along very often, but this one's a star."
# # #Read more Press Releases from Sue Auclair:
- Great Northeast Productions, Inc. Presents: An Evening With Bruce Cockburn
- Regattabar Presents An Evening With a Superband: Mike Pope & the House of Cardinals featuring Mike Pope, Eldar Djangirov, Joe Locke, Bob Franceschini & Mauricio Zottarelli
- Juanito Pascual New Flamenco Trio Featuring Juanito Pascual, Brad Barrett and Tupac Mantilla In Concert Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 8 PM at Sanders Theatre, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Madeleine Peyroux Heads to Boston for Concert at Berklee Performance Center, Sunday, October 27, 7 PM
- A Celebration of the Life and Music of Dave Brubeck, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 4:00 PM at Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine
- Tom Bergeron, Host of "Dancing With The Stars" Finally Shows Up to Collect His 2007 Mass. Broadcasters Hall of Fame Award at 2012 Event, Thursday, September 13
- Dick Albert, Jim Boyd, Jack Williams, Matt Siegel, George Capalbo, Jane Christo, Joseph Ryan and Tom Bergeron to Receive Mass. Broadcasters Hall of Fame Awards September 13 in Boston
- Playing for Change 2012 "Back to Our Roots" Tour Stops at Berklee Performance Center in Boston, Friday, March 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM
- An Evening of POEMJAZZ Featuring Robert Pinsky and Laurence Hobgood takes place on Friday, February 24 at the Regattabar, Charles Hotel, Cambridge
- The New Bull Run Restaurant & Concert Series Showcases John Oates, Jonathan Edwards, Suzy Bogguss, Bearfoot, Savoy Brown, Rod MacDonald and James Montgomery