MONROVIA, CA, April 03, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Kathrin Jansen, Senior Vice President at Pfizer will give a keynote presentation titled "A Novel Multi-antigen Vaccine to Prevent Staphylococcus Aureus Infection and Disease. Can We Beat the Bug at Its Own Game?" at GTC's 11th Vaccines Research & Development: All Things Considered Conference on July 8-10, 2013 in Boston, MA
Staphylococcus aureus (SA) causes serious disease in both hospital and community settings and is becoming increasingly resistant to antibiotic treatment. Currently there are no prophylactic vaccines to prevent SA disease, yet the field has already experienced several vaccine failures. Learning from past experiences and taking advantage of a more recent in depth understanding of the pathogenesis mechanisms of the organism, one needs to conclude that for a prophylactic vaccine to be successful, a multi-antigen vaccine approach will be crucial. Furthermore, it is becoming increasingly clear that a vaccine must address multiple bacterial virulence mechanisms and must induce a potent antibody response that results in opsonophagocytic killing of the pathogen. To full-fill these premises, Pfizer is developing a multi-antigen vaccine composed of serotype 5 and 8 capsular polysaccharides (CP5 and CP8) conjugated to the protein carrier CRM197 and two recombinant surface-expressed protein antigens, clumping factor A (rmClfA) and manganese transporter C (MntC). The rationale for antigen selection, along with the preclinical and clinical evidence that such a vaccine candidate might be effective, will be discussed.
Kathrin Jansen has responsibility for the scientific management of vaccine research and early development and all vaccines clinical & diagnostic at Pfizer. The efforts of her group and colleagues led to the start of the Neisseria meningitides serogroup B vaccine phase 3 trials and entry into phase 1 trials for vaccines to prevent Staphylococcus aureus and Clostridium difficile disease. Dr. Jansen brings a recognized series of accomplishments, as well as an established international reputation in vaccine discovery research and development.
The 11th Vaccines Research & Development: All Things Considered Conference continues a tradition of presenting valuable updates and exposure to all aspects of vaccine development, including research, product design considerations / specifications, manufacturing, regulations, investment, and policy, in a comfortable, interactive and friendly setting. It brings together the leaders in vaccinology from industry, academia, and the government for practical discussions on the future of the discipline.
This conference is part of our Infectious Diseases World Summit 2013 and will be held concurrently with two other tracks which are:
2nd Influenza Research and Development
10th Anti-Infectives Partnering and Deal-Making
For more information, please visit http://www.gtcbio.com/vaccines
GTCbio organizes conferences specifically for the biomedical and biopharmaceutical industries. Our goal is to facilitate the exchange of biopharmaceutical and biomedical intelligence between industry leaders, academic and government organizations, and the financial community.
GTCbio is a subsidiary of Global Technology Community, LLC, a privately held company founded in 2002.
Contact: GTCBIO (626) 256-6405, (626) 256-6460 fax, email@example.com
# # #Read more Press Releases from Rania Hafez:
- Geoffrey Bartholomeusz to Speak at Cell Based Assay Conference, Nov. 6-8, 2013 in SF, CA
- Heiko Niessen, Boehringer-Ingelheim, to Present at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- Margaret Karow, Amgen, to Present at Antibody & Protein Therapeutics Mtg., Oct. 24-25, San Diego
- Birgitte Sogaard, Lundbeck, to Present at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- Hans Lehrach To Present on Big Data Medicine at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- Li-Huei Tsai, MIT, to Speak at Neurodegenerative Conditions Conference, Sept. 9-10, 2013, Boston
- Richard Buller, VP of Pfizer, To Present at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- William Florence, DTRA, To Present on Biodefense Vaccines at GTC's Vaccines Conf., July 8-10, Boston
- Rick King, VP at IAVI, To Present on HIV Vaccine Design at GTC's Vaccines Conf., July 8-10, Boston
- Gregory Bonfiglio, Proteus Ventures to Speak at Stem Cell Summit 2013 - Apr 29-30, Boston