MONROVIA, CA, December 20, 2012 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Michael Pellini, President and CEO of Foundation Medicine, will give a presentation titled "Clinical Application of Comprehensive Cancer Genomic Analysis Utilizing Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) in Clinical Oncology" at GTC's 6th Oncology Biomarkers Conference in San Francisco, CA on March 20-22, 2013.
Advances in our understanding of cancer biology and the explosion of discoveries emerging as academic and public efforts worldwide apply NGS to cancer genomes are being translated into real clinical benefits for cancer patients. The elucidation of genomic changes to inform rationally targeted therapies is becoming a reality and the pace of this translation from bedside to bench and back is accelerating. Foundation Medicine has developed a CLIA-certified pan-cancer diagnostic assay based on NGS technology to comprehensively interrogate all cancer-related genes using minimal DNA from FFPE tumor specimens to identify all classes of genomic alterations at high sensitivity and specificity.
Benefits of Dr. Pellini's talk include:
1. Understand how comprehensive genomic sequencing is being applied in the clinic
2. Understand the benefits of comprehensive genomic sequencing vs. traditional hot-spot sequencing based on real clinical cases
3. Describe specific cases where targeted therapeutic options based on targeted therapies have resulted in improved patient outcomes
Dr. Pellini came to Foundation Medicine from Clarient, a GE Healthcare Company, where he held the position of President and Chief Operating Officer. Prior to his tenure with Clarient, Dr. Pellini served as Vice President of Life Sciences at Safeguard Scientifics, Inc. Prior to Safeguard, he was EVP and Chief Operating Officer at Lakewood Pathology Associates. Dr. Pellini received a B.A. from Boston College, an M.B.A. from Drexel University and an M.D. from Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University.
The 6th Oncology Biomarkers conference is part of the Biomarker Summit 2013 and runs concurrently with two co-located tracks, which are:
2nd Neurological Biomarkers
2nd Inflammatory & Immunological Biomarkers
The summit will discuss a wide range of issues such as biomarker identification and validation strategies, patient stratification, enabling omics technologies, bioinformatics and systems biology techniques, regulatory and reimbursement trends and the development of companion diagnostics. These areas will be addressed in an intimate and highly interactive environment with perspectives from industry, academia and the public sector.
For more information, please visit http://www.gtcbio.com/biomarkersummit
GTCbio organizes conferences specifically for the biomedical and biopharmaceutical industries. Our goal is to facilitate the exchange of biopharmaceutical and biomedical intelligence between industry leaders, academic and government organizations, and the financial community.
GTCbio is a subsidiary of Global Technology Community, LLC, a privately held company founded in 2002.
Contact: GTCBIO (626) 256-6405, (626) 256-6460 fax, email@example.com
# # #Read more Press Releases from Rania Hafez:
- Geoffrey Bartholomeusz to Speak at Cell Based Assay Conference, Nov. 6-8, 2013 in SF, CA
- Heiko Niessen, Boehringer-Ingelheim, to Present at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- Margaret Karow, Amgen, to Present at Antibody & Protein Therapeutics Mtg., Oct. 24-25, San Diego
- Birgitte Sogaard, Lundbeck, to Present at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- Hans Lehrach To Present on Big Data Medicine at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- Li-Huei Tsai, MIT, to Speak at Neurodegenerative Conditions Conference, Sept. 9-10, 2013, Boston
- Richard Buller, VP of Pfizer, To Present at GTC's Biomarker Europe Summit, Oct. 9-10, Berlin
- William Florence, DTRA, To Present on Biodefense Vaccines at GTC's Vaccines Conf., July 8-10, Boston
- Rick King, VP at IAVI, To Present on HIV Vaccine Design at GTC's Vaccines Conf., July 8-10, Boston
- Gregory Bonfiglio, Proteus Ventures to Speak at Stem Cell Summit 2013 - Apr 29-30, Boston