LOS ANGELES, CA, August 09, 2014 /24-7PressRelease/ -- This free seminar will be the first in a series held at Crowell Public Library's Barth Community Room, and will feature experts from government agencies on topics such as home improvement projects, identity theft, auto repair, healthcare fraud and investments. Senior Scam Stopper seminars have been offered by the California State Contractors License Board throughout the state since 1999 in cooperation with legislators, state and local agencies, law enforcement, district attorneys, and community-based organizations.
According to the National Council on Aging,* financial scams targeting seniors have become so prevalent that they're now considered "the crime of the 21st century." They often go unreported or can be difficult to prosecute, so they're considered a "low-risk" crime. However, they're devastating to many older adults and can leave them in a very vulnerable position with little time to recoup their losses. In addition, the Council tells us over 90% of all reported elder abuse is committed by an older person's own family members, most often their adult children, followed by grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Other types of scams targeting seniors include counterfeit prescription drugs, funeral and cemetery scams, telemarketing, internet fraud, homeowners/reverse mortgage scams and fraudulent sweepstakes or lotteries.
In addition to providing information about construction-related scams and how seniors can protect themselves when hiring a contractor, this seminar will feature expert speakers from local, state and federal agencies, who present broader topics, including identity theft, auto repair, and investments.
Don't miss this important seminar on Monday September 8th at 10:00 a.m. at Crowell Library.
Crowell: First Library in the World to Offer Dakim Brain Fitness
1890 Huntington Drive, San Marino, CA 91108-2595 ● Phone: (626) 300-0777 ● Fax: (626) 300-0121
The Crowell Public Library in the City of San Marino enriches and advances the intellectual, cultural, and creative vitality of San Marino by providing access to information that support the interests of the community. Pursuant to its mission, "The 21st Century Crowell Public Library provides: a gathering place, an information center, a technology hub and a book and media collection to serve the educational, cultural and recreational interests of people of all ages."
# # #Read more Press Releases from Denise Dobbs:
- Tea-One Tasting: The Spectrum of Taiwan Oolongs with Thomas Shu, Ambassador of Taiwan Tea
- LA Opera Talk Gioachino Rossini's Barber of Seville Sunday, February 8th, 2:00 p.m.
- Crowell Public Library Presents Learning English - Six Fridays: February 6, 13, 20, 27 & March 6, 13 1:00-2:30 pm
- Crowell Public Library Presents Helping Hands for Hand-Held Devices
- Friends of Crowell Public Library Meet the Authors Series: Nicole Mones: Night in Shanghai Thursday January 22nd 7:00 p.m.
- LA Opera Talk Corigliano's The Ghosts of Versailles Sunday, January 18, 2:00 p.m.
- Friends of Crowell Public Library Meet the Authors Series. Susan Rosvall Silence is Broken Wednesday November 5th 7:00 p.m.
- LA Opera Talk - Purcell's Dido & Aeneas
Sunday, October 26, 2:00 p.m.
- Crowell Library Presents Meditation for Memory & Brain Functioning
Thursday, October 23, 7:00 p.m.
- Friends of Crowell Public Library Meet the Authors Series: Author Lynn Snowden and illustrator Kyle Kennedy Powell:
Maezie's Pumpkin Patch Wednesday October 8th 7:00 p.m.