- Products & Services
- Knowledge Base
LEEDS, ENGLAND, February 09, 2012 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Three lucky savers have started the New Year with a bang by winning GBP100k each in Halifax's second Savers Prize Draw. The draw, which launched in December, also paid out a hundred prizes of GBP1000 and a thousand prizes of GBP100 to savers throughout the country.
While winners were spread right across England, Scotland and Wales, the Lancashire area is proving to be a hotspot for winners after seeing the greatest number of prize winners in both the December and January draws. A total of 153 prize winners have come from the area in just two draws.
With over 560,000 registrations, the unique Halifax Savers Prize Draw has grown even further in popularity with UK savers in January. The great attraction of the draw derives from the fact that savers can choose from a range of products that suit their varying savings needs, earn the interest associated with that account, as well as registering for the big draw. It is not a replacement for earning interest, it is a great bonus: rewarding the commitment to saving.
Simon Kenyon, Director of Savings, said: "We know it's tough for people to save at the moment, so it is particularly important for us to reward positive savings habits. The Savers Prize Draw is a unique and compelling way to achieve that".
- The three big January winners came from across the UK: South Yorkshire, West Midlands and Norfolk.
- The luckiest areas, seeing the greatest number of prize winners were: Lancashire (79), West Yorkshire (60), London (59), Essex (48) and Surrey (43).
- Areas reaping the highest monetary rewards were: West Midlands (GBP106,400) South Yorkshire (GBP106,000), Norfolk (GBP102,200), Lancashire (GBP10,600), London (GBP9,500) and West Yorkshire (GBP9,600).
David Nicholson, Group Director, Halifax Community Bank, said: "We have heard some great stories already from the Prize Draw, from customers winning who have been saving with us for forty years, to savers who moved to us and won a prize. Our branch colleagues are excited for all their local customers who have picked up a prize and they will be welcoming those lucky local savers into branches, very happy I'm sure to have another opportunity to give customers that something extra."
Letters are currently being sent to winners via recorded post.
The Halifax Savers Prize Draw
- The Halifax Savers Prize Draw is open to both new and existing customers
- The scheme will run for a minimum of 12 monthly draws
- Customers must maintain the GBP5,000 minimum balance in one or more qualifying accounts for the full calendar month prior to the draw
- Customers must be 18 or over at the end of the month prior to the draw and live in England, Wales or Scotland
- Due to different legislation, residents of Northern Ireland are not eligible to participate in the draw
- Winners will be individually notified
- Winners are not required to pay income tax on their prize amount
- Externally monitored by KPMG LLP
Note to editors;
1Halifax savings accounts not eligible for the draw include accounts held for, or on behalf of children, including child-specific accounts such as Save4it, Children's Regular Saver and Young Saver, the Halifax Christmas Saver and any accounts held for non-personal reasons such as a club, charity or business account. Bank of Scotland savings accounts (subject to the same exceptions) are also eligible.
# # #