November 30, 2012

Enforcement of Child Support in Florida
-- It is becoming more and more common that child support payments are being avoided by the non-custodial parent, and custodial parents need to take action in order to obtain the money that they rightfully deserve. --

    November 30, 2012 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Children, although as wonderful as they may be, can often be expensive. Supporting a child on two incomes is difficult enough. However, when parents are divorced or never married, supporting children on one income can sometimes seem almost impossible. To help mitigate these effects, a system called child support was created. Child support is a payment made by the non-custodial parent to help with the daily expenses of raising a child. It is becoming more and more common that these payments are being avoided by the non-custodial parent, and custodial parents need to take action in order to obtain the money that they rightfully deserve.

A nationwide problem

Nationally, CNN Money finds that over 100 billion dollars is owed to custodial parents in child support. When a custodial parent is not receiving the child support the children need, the custodial parent and children can fall below the poverty level and often are in need of some type of public assistance.

Enforcement in Florida

When a couple gets divorced or the parents never marry, a custodial parent can file a request for child support payments with the Family Court system in their county. The Florida Family Courts use state specific child support guidelines to determine the amount of child support. The Florida child support guidelines take into consideration each parent's earnings or earning abilities, the amount of time each parent spends with the children, and any additional needs of the children such as daycare or health insurance coverage.

If the parent responsible for paying child support fails to meet their obligation, the custodial parent must file a contempt action to seek enforcement of their child support order. If found in contempt of a child support order, the deadbeat parent could be incarcerated, have any state issued licenses such as a driver's license or professional license revoked and have their federal tax refund intercepted by the Family Court.

Getting help when it's needed

Often, the custodial parent may have a difficult time getting the child support owed to them by the other parent. The custodial parent might try to be understanding and work with the other parent, but there comes a point when enough is enough. Child support money is used for the child's welfare and without it, a child may not be getting the necessities he or she needs.

When a custodial parent needs assistance with collecting their past due child support payments, an experienced Florida family law attorney may be able to help. These attorneys know the Florida laws and can help a parent work their way through the Family Court system in order to get the child support payments that they are entitled to. No parent should have to worry about feeding their children or putting a roof over their head because the non-custodial parent refuses to pay their child support obligation. Scheduling an appointment with a family law attorney will be his or her first step in the right direction.

Article provided by Vari & Associates, L.L.C
Visit us at

# # #

Read more Press Releases from FL Web Advantage:

Press Release Contact Information:
FL Web Advantage

E-Mail: Email us Here

If you have any questions regarding information in this press release, please contact the person listed in the contact module of this page. Please do not attempt to contact 24-7 Press Release. We are unable to assist you with any information regarding this release. 24-7 Press Release disclaims any content contained in this press release. Please see our complete Terms of Use disclaimer for more information.
This News Release can be viewed online at: