January 02, 2013
Attorney Jesse Scharff, of Roberts Law Group, PLLC, Raises Reasonable Doubt as to Impairment, Secures Not Guilty Verdict on DWI Charge
Roberts Law Group, PLLC
-- Raleigh DWI defense lawyer Jesse Scharff successfully argues against finding of impairment in alleged drunk driving case. --
RALEIGH, NC, January 02, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/ -- North Carolina drunk driving defense attorney Jesse Scharff of Roberts Law Group, PLLC, successfully raised a reasonable doubt as to impairment in a DWI trial, and secured a not guilty verdict, saving the client from up to six months in jail.
In this drunk driving case, a traffic stop of an allegedly speeding driver ended in an arrest for driving while impaired (DWI). The arresting officer performed several field sobriety tests on the driver after smelling the odor of alcohol on the driver, including the walk-and-turn test, a portable breath test and the Vertical Gaze Nystagmus.
According to court documents, despite the results of the barrage of field sobriety tests Attorney Jesse Scharff was able to raise reasonable doubt about whether or not the driver was impaired, resulting in a not guilty verdict. The driver missed walking heel to toe only once during the walk and turn test, had a positive reading on the portable breath test, satisfied all six clues on the Vertical Gaze Nystagmus test and had a presumptive blow of .08 on the EC/IR II (or ECIR-2).
In the face of this seemingly insurmountable evidence, Jesse Scharff was able to use his experience in the courtroom and knowledge of North Carolina law to secure a not guilty verdict. In State v. Narron, 193 N.C. App. 76 (2008), the court discussed that the"[r]esults of a chemical analysis are sufficient evidence to submit the issue of a defendant's alcohol concentration to the fact-finder" who "may find it adequate proof" of impairment. In this case, Attorney Scharff was able to refute the results of the field sobriety tests, raising reasonable doubt as to impairment and allowing the fact-finder to enter a not guilty verdict.
Rather than spend the next six months in jail, the driver was able to escape the penalties of a North Carolina DWI conviction.
At Roberts Law Group, PLLC, our criminal defense attorneys fight for the rights of the accused throughout North Carolina. With offices in Raleigh, Wilmington and Charlotte, our experienced lawyers offer a free initial consultation to anyone facing criminal charges including drunk driving, sex offenses, drug crimes, white collar crimes or other felony or misdemeanor in the North Carolina state or federal criminal justice system . When experience counts, put Roberts Law Group on your side.
For more information about Roberts Law Group, PLLC, please visit the firm's criminal defense website and criminal defense blog. Jesse Scharff is a skilled criminal attorney who defends against sex crime charges, DWI charges, assault charges and others in Wake County and the surrounding areas. To contact criminal lawyer Jesse Scharff, please contact the law firm online via our website or call 866-630-2389 for a free consultation.
# # #
Read more Press Releases from Patrick Roberts:
- North Carolina Defense Lawyer Ryan Stump Gets On-Post DWI Charge Dismissed
- Wilmington Financial Crimes Defense Lawyer Ryan Stump Helped Client Avoid Jail Time in Felony Embezzlement Case
- Embezzlement in North Carolina Can Get You In Criminal Trouble With The State Or The Feds
- Criminal Defense Lawyer Patrick Roberts Was Recently Named One Of The Top 100 Trial Lawyers In North Carolina By The National Trial Lawyers
- Drinking and Driving Under 21 in North Carolina Can Mean Serious Trouble
- Trading Before Heinz Buyout Triggers SEC Investigation
- Roberts Law Group, PLLC, Welcomes Raleigh Attorney Nick Clifford To Its North Carolina Criminal Defense Practice
- Security Settings in File-Sharing Software May Lead to Unintended Sharing of Child Pornography
- Downloading Adult Porn In Bulk Can Get You in Trouble With Child Porn
- Attorney Patrick Roberts of Roberts Law Group, PLLC, Recently Attended The White Collar Criminal Defense College At Stetson University
Press Release Contact Information:
Roberts Law Group, PLLC
203 W. Millbrook Road Suite 200
E-Mail: Email us Here
Website: Visit Our Website
This News Release can be viewed online at: http://www.24-7pressrelease.com