January 20, 2013
Ruski Ski Rush in Progress - The Inside Track from Direct Travel Insurance
-- Russia is investing huge sums in new ski resorts aimed at western holidaymakers as much as wealthy Muscovites. --
January 20, 2013 /EIN News/ -- Russia rarely features high on a list of likely ski or snowboarding resorts. The Alps or North America are usually favourite destinations, while Bulgaria frequently tops cheap-ski league tables. Yet Russia is investing huge sums in new ski resorts aimed at western holidaymakers as much as wealthy Muscovites, according to the ski insurance experts at Direct Travel.
And there is in fact historical logic to this - if we go a long way back. The first skis, believing to date to 8,000 years ago, were found in Russian bogs.
Before what we would recognise as proper skis were used, ancient people fashioned their version of skis from large animal bones. They used leather strips to fix these to rudimentary boots.
Why did they go to this effort? Because, rather than being a leisure pursuit, skiing was a necessity: a means of transport and even survival. (Now, of course, winter sports travel insurance provides reassurance that skiers will be covered for luggage, equipment, delays and medical emergencies if things go wrong.)
Some large-scale projects are currently underway in Russia. The 2014 Winter Olympics will be held in Sochi in the Caucasus region, and one of the competition resorts is Krasnaya Polyana. Another popular destination in the area is Dombay.
New development plans include even more ambitious schemes.
Investment of ?10 billion has been earmarked for five new resorts in the Caucasus, with proposals for 803 km of tracks in total. The Russians hope to rival popular resorts in the West.
As skiers and snowboarders prepare for the 2012-13 season, the Bulgarian resort of Bansko has come out as best-value resort for the third year in a row in a survey. Six days' ski pass, boot hire and ski school cost ?252, with extras such as drinks and lunch adding another ?63 for the week.
Winter sports fans can find cheap ski insurance and winter sports insurance from ?6.48, with worldwide cover, annual multi-trip ski travel insurance and policies for different budgets also available.
Established in late 1992 and trading since 1993, Direct Travel Insurance specialises in travel insurance for individual travellers, couples and families up to the age of 75. Direct Travel Insurance offers a range of cover options and added benefits including cover for over 100 sports and activities enabling customers to tailor their policies for single trip, annual multi trip, backpacking and winter sports.
All travel insurance policies are underwritten by AIG Europe Limited. Direct Travel Insurance is a trading name of UNAT Direct Insurance Management Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA Number 312350). AIG Europe Limited is also authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA Number 202628).
0800 980 4313
# # #
Read more press releases by EIN News:
- Sacramento Area Marketing Agency Adds 3D Animation to Service Line Up
- Delaware Park Offers the Best Wedding Venues in the State
- Steve White JD Joins Paula Hogan Wealth Management Advisory Firm
- Regents Park Apartments Brings Neighbors Together With Planned Special Events
- Naperville Roofing Contractor, Opal Enterprises: Supporting The Local Community Through Sponsorships
- DevelopIntelligence Offers Cloud Computing Training for Technical Teams and Organizations
- Cadillac CTS All Wheel Drive - Luxury Offered at a Pre-Owned Price
- WYTE MUSIC/ HYPNOTIZE MINDS PRESENTS: "The Southern Hospitality Tour 2K13"
- Rick Curl Jail Sentence Due to Attorney Robert Allard & Victim Kelley Currin's Pursuit of Justice
- Flight Centre Offers Earlybird Discount On Winter Tours Led by Back-Roads Touring