January 24, 2013
New York Imposes Stricter Penalties for DWI
-- Recently, New York passed new drunk driving regulations that have serious impacts for repeat DWI offenders. --
January 24, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/ -- New traffic regulations in New York's DWI laws significantly increase the severity of penalties for those convicted of multiple DWIs. The state of New York already has some of the strictest repercussions for drunk drivers in the nation. Recently, New York passed some new drunk driving regulations that have serious impacts for repeat DWI offenders.
Essentially, the new regulations will affect more than 50,000 New York drivers with valid or suspended licenses and three or more alcohol-related convictions.
Overview of the new DWI regulations
Under the new regulations, the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (NY DMV) can now review a driver's entire lifetime record when considering his or her driver's license application. This means that a 20-year old DWI conviction could prevent a driver from getting his or her license back.
Additionally, the New York DMV will automatically deny any applications where a driver has more than five DWI convictions in his or her life, or the driver has three or more DWI convictions in the last 25 years and a serious traffic violation (regardless of whether that serious traffic offense is related to drugs or alcohol.)
Further, drivers are no longer able to seek an early reinstatement of a suspended driver's license. (Under the old rules, drivers could accelerate license reinstatement by participating in a class. Now the entire suspension period is mandatory.)
Defending against DWI arrest
These new rules make New York one of the toughest states in the nation for DWI penalties. As a result, defending against DWI charges in New York is essential, particularly if a driver is facing a subsequent drunk driving charge.
Seeking the help of an experience New York DWI attorney who can offer advice about your rights and the options available under the law is advised.
Article provided by Silver, Forrester, Schisano, Lesser & Dreyer
Visit us at http://www.hudsonvalleylawyers.com
# # #
Read more Press Releases from FL Web Advantage:
- Security Settings In File-Sharing Software May Lead To Unintended Sharing Of Child Pornography
- Driver fatigue a common cause of auto accidents
- Hit By A Drunk Driver In TexaS? You Have Legal Options
- Embezzlement In North Carolina Can Get You In Criminal Trouble With The State Or The Feds
- Custody modifications give some New York parents the summertime blues
- Gun possession debates and possible changes coming for Illinois
- Will the U.S. lower permitted blood alcohol content levels for drivers?
- Missouri child relocation laws: You can't just pick up and move
- The means test in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy
- Robot enthusiasm questioned amid rise in robotic surgery malfunctions
Press Release Contact Information:
FL Web Advantage
E-Mail: Email us Here
This News Release can be viewed online at: http://www.24-7pressrelease.com