February 01, 2013
Sex Crimes: California Churches and Schools
-- Sex crimes have been in the news in California lately. The stories concern allegations out of Catholic churches and local schools. --
February 01, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/ -- You may assume that only a particular type of person can be accused of a particular type of crime. However, in reality, many different people -- doctors, lawyers, politicians -- confront egregious criminal allegations. While some individuals may be highly regarded in society, this does not preclude them from butting heads with the law.
For example, recent news articles speak of Los Angeles Roman Catholic Archdiocese officials, who purportedly protected priests who sexually molested children. Sources explain that the archdiocese kept parishioners shielded from the issue for multiple decades. The religious sex abuse cases in California echo other similar stories from nationwide dioceses.
The Catholic Church is not alone in recent accusations regarding child sex abuse. There has been discussion concerning teachers in Los Angeles school districts. The Huffington Post reports that approximately 30 children were allegedly abused by teachers in a South Los Angeles elementary school. This is living proof that people from all lifestyles encounter criminal matters.
California sex crimes
The sex crimes that are gracing the news generally concern child abuse and molestation. In California, there are four basic types of sex crimes.
- Sexual Battery: This is a general sex offense that can be applied to many circumstances. The accusation involves touching someone in a sexual manner when contact is unwanted.
- Statutory Rape: This crime occurs when an adult engages in sexual intercourse with a minor. According to California law, no person under the age of 18 may consent to sex.
- Forcible Rape: Forcible rape can happen when sex is not consensual on the part of a party.
- Lewd and Lascivious Acts: This crime is commonly known as child molestation. Depending on the situation, there are different variables to the charge.
While these make up the four main types of sex crimes, each case could vary in charge and sentence level, depending on the specifics of the alleged incident.
If you are accused of a sex crime, seek legal help
In addition to prison time and fines, persons convicted of specified sex crimes are required to register with a local law enforcement agency. Furthermore, a guilty charge can mean a change in residential and employment opportunities.
If you are confronted with sex crime charges, secure the help of a knowledgeable criminal law attorney. Such charges are serious, and the consequences of a conviction could stick with you forever. A lawyer can help you eliminate or minimize the effect of any allegations.
Article provided by Law Offices of Karlstrom & Krebs
Visit us at http://www.livermoreattorney.com
# # #
Read more Press Releases from FL Web Advantage:
- Former Enron CEO gets prison sentence reduction
- Limousine Fire In California Raises Questions About Car Fires
- Florida hurricane season: Good time to review your insurance coverage
- The role of alimony in a California military divorce
- Countdown begins for new commercial trucking hours-of-service rules
- 2013 is Year of the Bike in Utah: keep it fun; keep it safe
- Study shows hospitals have little incentive to prevent medical errors
- California Limo Fire: Spotlight On The Causes Of Car Fires
- Security Settings In File-Sharing Software May Lead To Unintended Sharing Of Child Pornography
- Driver fatigue a common cause of auto accidents
Press Release Contact Information:
FL Web Advantage
E-Mail: Email us Here
This News Release can be viewed online at: http://www.24-7pressrelease.com