- Products & Services
- Knowledge Base
PHILADELPHIA, PA, March 18, 2020 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Coronavirus is all that you hear about on the new recently. But what is it, what are its symptoms, and how can you reduce the risk of contracting it?
About coronavirus and COVID-19
Coronavirus is a virus that infects the respiratory system. COVID-19 is a new strain of the coronavirus and is in the same family as the common cold. Most symptoms of the virus appear between 2 and 14 of being infected. Symptoms include, but are not limited to, fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Symptoms have been reported to be mild to severe and can lead to death.
Currently medical experts believe that the virus is spread through person to person contact, i.e. a kiss, sneeze, or cough. However, since this is a new strain doctors and scientists are still learning about the virus. Thus, information on the spread of the virus may change.
Prevention and treatment
There are plenty of measures that an individual can take to help prevent the spread of the disease and can help reduce the risk of contracting the virus.
1. Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. This should be done especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, sneezing, or coughing. If soap is not available, hand sanitizer can be used. However, the sanitizer must be at least 60% alcohol. The CDC does not recommend making your own hand sanitizer.
2. Avoid touching your face, especially the eyes, nose or mouth.
3. Avoid contact with people who are sick.
4. If you become sick, stay home. When sick, or infected with the virus, a person should not go to work, school, run errands, or travel for at least 24 hours after their fever is gone.
5. Coughs and sneezes should be covered. If covering with a tissue the tissue should be thrown away immediately and hands should be washed.
6. Frequently touched objects should be disinfected. This can include phones, keyboards, and doorknobs.
7. People should do everything they can to be healthy like getting plenty of sleep, staying hydrated, eating nutritious food, and staying active.
The CDC recommends that only people who are sick or are around sick people should be wearing face masks.
If someone suspects that they have become infected, then they should call their doctor immediately to get tested for the virus. When speaking to the doctor the infected person should provide a list of people that they have been in close contact with.
Cleaning – Removal of germs, dirt from surfaces. Cleaning a surface does not kill germs but it does lower the number of germs on the surface and thus reduces the risk of infection.
Disinfecting – Using chemicals to kill germs on surfaces. Does not really clean surfaces., however disinfecting a surface after cleaning a surface greatly lowers the risk and spread of infection.
1. If a surface is dirty it should be cleaned with water and soap prior to disinfecting the surface.
2. Diluted household bleaches, alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol, and most common EPA registered household disinfectants should be effective.
3. For soft surfaces such as carpets, rugs, and drapes, visible contaminants should be removed and then placed in the laundry.
4. For clothing and other linens, they should be placed in the laundry to wash. Clothes hampers should be cleaned, and disinfected and dirty clothing should not be shaken out.
5. The person cleaning or handling dirty linens should wash their hands after each activity.
6. High touch areas of a home should be cleaned and disinfected regularly. These areas include tables, chairs, doorknobs, switches, removes, toilets, and sinks.
About First Choice Restoration
First Choice Restoration is a water, mold, fire, and smoke remediation company headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. The company also operates additional offices throughout other areas of Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, and Delaware. The company has been assisting homeowners and businesses with water, mold, fire, and smoke cleanup for over 40 years.
# # #