- Products & Services
- Knowledge Base
LONDON, ENGLAND, October 05, 2022 /24-7PressRelease/ -- The Shoebox Project for Women is an unaffiliated, non-religious, registered charity who celebrates diversity and inclusion.Their Mission is to share empathy, kindness and compassion with local women impacted by homelessness through the collection and distribution of gift-filled Shoeboxes and messages of support.
The charity serves shelters across England's Capital that support families, individuals who identify as women, transgender or non binary as well as refugees, senior citizens and adults living with disabilities.Their vision is a world where all are seen, valued, and treated with dignity and compassion.
Let's look at why this is important:
- In Britain today Sixty percent of all homeless adults living in temporary accommodation are women, despite only making up 51% of the general population.
- In the past decade, the number of homeless women living in temporary accommodation has almost doubled from 40,030 in 2011 to 75,410 today – growth of 88%
- 69% of women who rent privately worry they wouldn't be able to afford anywhere decent to live if their relationship broke down – this equates to 2.7 million women.
- 1 in 38 lone mothers are homeless in England right now
How can companies get involved?
Employers can create a fun, hands on team building activity bringing both in office and remote workers together to celebrate all in our community. This can be in the form of a shoebox packing and wrapping session in your workplace or at one of our locations and can be tailor-made to the employers budget, time restraints and working environment.
- Alternatively they can donate funds or suitable products. This can be done virtually through the Shoebox Gift Online feature or in person with a social media celebrated hand over.
- Employees can be encouraged to create virtual or physical shoeboxes for which they will receive a donor receipt.
- Your team could fundraise – Shoebox can set up a unique fundraising link for your company and you can track your progress and share the results with your community.
- Or Employers could organise a gift card drive where employees can be invited to provide Shoebox with a gift card for any major chain or local business allowing local women in need to access the food, hygiene items and basic essentials they need
How can the Media help?
- London Media can help by covering one of the in person festive drive events
which will take place across the capital in early December
- Media can share the story of the growing issue of Women impacted by homelessness which will no doubt be made worse by the current cost of living crisis and can highlight this the ONLY charity dedicated to supporting women in this situation
- Media can interview Charity heads from the London chapter to understand what they are seeing at Shelters, Community health centres, Food & clothing banks, and transitional housing programs to highlight the growing issues within our metropolitan society.
About The Shoebox Project:
The Shoebox Project for Women aims to share kindness and compassion with local women impacted by homelessness through the collection and distribution of gift-filled Shoeboxes. Each Shoebox is festively decorated and lovingly packed with essentials and gifts valued at £35, as well as a message of support, that can enhance self-worth and reduce feelings of isolation. The project was started in Toronto Canada and celebrated its 10 th anniversary in 2021.
* Data provided by Shelter.org.uk, 2021
For media enquiries please contact
For further information on being part of the Shoebox Project for Women UK
# # #