- Products & Services
- Knowledge Base
"We are immensely grateful to The Bob Barker Foundation for their extraordinary generosity. This will enable us to take our conservation and educational efforts to a new level," Glenn Gray, CEO PMMC
LAGUNA BEACH, CA, November 14, 2023 /24-7PressRelease/ -- In a groundbreaking act of generosity, The Bob Barker Foundation has made a remarkable $1 million donation to support the development of an underwater viewing pool and improved visitor center at the Pacific Marine Mammal Center. This substantial gift promises an enriching experience for both the animal inhabitants and visitors alike.
The generous donation from The Bob Barker Foundation will be instrumental in creating an expanded visitor center and enhanced animal viewing pool to provide a safe and engaging environment for wildlife enthusiasts, students, and families. The funds will be directed towards:
1. Innovative Viewing Pool: The donation will enable the creation of advanced, spacious marine mammal viewing pool that prioritize animal well-being, comfort, and the rehabilitation of our patients.
2. Expanded Visitor Center: The visitor center will serve as a key element to the educational hub, featuring interactive exhibits, informational displays, and educational programs to foster an understanding of animals and their conservation.
Additional improvements to the center include:
• A state-of-the-art treatment room for surgeries, endoscopy, ultrasound, radiographs and other medical needs.
• Additional patient units and pools will improve patient care and increase capacity, better preparing the hospital for busy periods.
• A new water reclamation system will reduce the center's water usage by nearly 90%. The average daily use will be reduced from 18,000 gallons to approximately 1,500 and will fully reclaim 7,800 gallons of water in 3 hours. Ensures highest standards of clean water environment for animals.
• Extensive renovation of the classroom space to provide higher quality education programs and allow for a greater number of students visiting daily.
• Enhanced distance learning will allow us to broaden our reach outside of Orange County.
PMMC is incredibly thankful for this generous contribution, Glenn Gray, CEO of PMMC stated. "We are immensely grateful to The Bob Barker Foundation for their extraordinary generosity. This donation will enable us to take our conservation and educational efforts to a new level, providing visitors with a unique and immersive experience while advancing our commitment to wildlife welfare and conservation," said Gray.
The Bob Barker Foundation, founded by the legendary Bob Barker, the former longtime host of the TV game show "The Price Is Right" and animal rights advocate, is committed to making a lasting impact. Over the years the foundation has supported PMMC's mission to provide a welcoming and educational environment for animals and visitors. This donation reflects the appreciation for wildlife and belief in the importance of educating the public about conservation.
The project is currently under construction with an expected completion date of November 2024. The result will be a world-class destination for those who share a passion for animals, their welfare, and the importance of conservation efforts.
For more information about the project and to stay updated on its progress, please visit www.pacificmmc.org/thenextwave.
These advancements will ensure that we lead in the marine mammal and regional environmental sectors for decades to come, and we invite the community to join us in celebrating this momentous occasion by visiting the center when we reopen to the public, Fall 2024.
Catch the Next Wave at the PMMC
What began 53 years ago with a single injured harbor seal, PMMC is now recognized as a premier marine mammal rescue, research, and rehabilitation center. We welcome nearly 50,000 visitors annually from around the world to learn about current rescued animals and observe conservation efforts in action. We teach more than 36,000 students from local schools how to be better ocean stewards. We created distance-learning programs that educate students across the country. Finally, our more than 200 volunteers provide approximately $1.2 million dollars of donated time, assisting in rescues, animal care, education, and retail locations.
To join the community of ocean and animal advocates who are making a difference visit: www.pacificmmc.nextwave.org.
About the PMMC
The Pacific Marine Mammal Center rescues, rehabilitates and releases marine mammals and inspires ocean stewardship through research, education, and collaboration. The only center in Orange County, California, licensed to rescue, rehabilitate, and release marine mammals that strand on local beaches. PMMC is a non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization. Tax-ID #: 95-3680896
For more information, please visit our website www.pacificmmc.org, follow us on social media: @pacificmmc.org or contact Kathleen Biermeier: [email protected].
# # #